When you’re looking for a new job, it’s critical to master the basics. Here are five fundamentals every job seeker must have:
1. Be reachable. Some companies will reach out to you by email, others by phone. Include all of your contact information on your resume: cell phone number, email address, LinkedIn profile URL, and physical address. Check all of those frequently. That call or message you thought was spam might be from your next employer.
2. Be realistic. Understand the job market. If you’re currently unemployed, you may discover that you don’t have the leverage to boost your salary above what it was at your last job.
3. Be aggressive. Pursue positions even if they don’t seem ideal. There’s no harm in exploring. You may uncover other, unexpected opportunities along the way. No job is ever the perfect fit.
4. Be open to relocating. There’s a whole world beyond your city limits. That’s often where the best opportunities are lurking.
5. Be open-minded. Maybe landing a traditional, full-time position with another company isn’t in the cards for you. Consider options such as contracting, temp-to-perm, and contract-to-perm.
Master these five fundamentals, and you’ll significantly enhance your ability to advance your career.