Here are five tips that will help you achieve success in your next job interview.
- Know yourself. Read your resume and your online profile. Understand how the company will be viewing you. Their knowledge is generally focused on your resume, your LinkedIn profile, and what they may have heard about you. The initial interview questions will probably flow from this information.
- Be prepared to talk about your career goals. Elaborate on the type of opportunity that would motivate you to make a change. Allow for flexibility in case the current opportunities don’t line up exactly with your goals.
- Be ready for the scenario questions. Interviewers commonly ask questions like How would you handle a situation when…? Think back to past experiences where you can provide examples.
- Show enthusiasm! Be engaging and enthusiastic. If you’re asked about skills that you don’t have, express your desire to educate yourself and grow with the company. Companies often adjust requirements and create positions for candidates they like.
- Ask questions. Questions like How long have you been here? What do you enjoy? Why do you stay here? It will give you insights into the company and begin to build chemistry. Also, ask about how they see you fitting into their organization: What skills do I possess are valuable to your firm? or What would I need to learn?
Be careful not to be too scripted. The interview should be a meeting between you and the company to establish a mutual fit. Be yourself and do your best to become their top candidate for the current opening or any others the company may consider.